INFUSION

OLD SCHOOL  She had been a teacher, a teacher of English, language and literature.  In her company I found myself speaking in a rather more considered tone than my usual Derbyshire dialect, I made an effort to sound the letter aitch for example. I went to see her fairly frequently after my father, her brother, died and I became very fond of her. She had a mischievous sparkle in her eyes and a charming, light hearted, worldly wisdom was always apparent when we were in conversation.  I remember that she used to say "I'll put the kettle on, let's hope it fits" and there was "it's not the kettle that's boiling, it's the water in the kettle"...She was always wanting to know what book I was reading and had I been to the theatre recently.  I miss her...she was so interested in life and living and simply being a human being...

Comments

Popular Posts